Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday - open now - Caring for someone who is at risk of suicide

I agree Sarah. I did the ASIST course and wished that I had done it years ago. I found it gave me confidence and made me less fearful when talking about suicide, and a plan to follow if needed. 

For those of us with the "lived experience" around suicide some aspects of the course can be confronting but were well managed by the instructors. I'm glad I did it.

Thanks @CherryBomb it's been great to be part of the conversation this evening. My final thoughts would be to just acknowledge how difficult, scarey and overwhelming it can be to see a person you love struggle with suicidal thoughts. It's brings up many questions of "why?" and those around them can feel rejected and helpless to do anything. Just remember that you being there to listen, offer support and show them love is an AMAZING thing to be able to do and can make all the difference in keeping someone safe. Also remember to take time out to look after yourself and get support... Smiley Happy

Thanks so much @sarah250 for chatting to us about a very serious, challenging and important topic.

I hope tonight was informative night for all those who participated, and were viewing the conversation. Remember, there is help out there, and you don't have to go through this alone - Conversations and open lines of communications are not only important to help keep your loved one safe, but  also get support for yourself.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance