Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday - open now - Caring for someone who is at risk of suicide

If someone has had a plan for some time then this state might be their usual state of mind and therefore the risk is not as high. In that case you should look out for changes to their usual way of thinking, i.e. thinking about the plan more often, being more distressed/hopeless, starting to think of a time to carry out the plan or finding means to carry out the plan.

In terms of keeping a person safe communication is the key. Keeping open dialogue about how they are feeling, encouraging them to get professional support and checking in if they are displaying any signs that they are more stressed or down are all helpful things you can do.

Thanks for the question Cherry Bomb. Its so hard to know what to do to keep loved ones safe, and we are often in the dark about how to handle things.

it can take a huge toll on us as carers, leaving us feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.

Hi Sarah. I completely agree.
Do you have a link to evidence or such that discussing suicide does not increase risk.
I'm working with a prevention group that is working to have suicide prevention programs in queensland schools. This is a huge hurdle in attitude to overcome of the education department... If you discus it the students will do it.
I'm putting together a pack for principals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Topic Tuesday 25/08 7pm AEST- Caring for someone who is at risk of suicide

@sarah250 are sucidal thoughts always a concern. I think I have heard somewhere in the past that a large proportion of the population have them at some time without acting on them. Is it possible to make too much of them?

Hi @CherryBomb yes there are crisis services that people can access 24 hours. The fist point of call would be your local hospital or call 000 for eergency services. You can also call the Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467 or Lifeline 13 11 14 who can offer crisis counselling.

That's an interesting point @Former-Member. I think to some degree a lot of people can have suicidal thoughts at at some point in their life. I think that people may not carry it out because someone shows concern, or they got help because someone had the conversation with them. Overall, I think it's helpful to a discussion about suicide seriously - rather than be safe than sorry.

What are your thoughts @sarah250

Hi @Former-Member yes there is evidence to show that many people have suicidal thoughts at some point in their life and you're corrent that not every mention of suicide means that the person needs to be rushed to the emergency department. However it's important to take suggestions of suicde seriously, even if they are said in a joking manner. If someone mentions suicide, see it as an opportunity to start a conversation to check in about how they are feeling. Thoughts of suicide usually indicate that all is not well, and they might need support to cope with thier mental health or a difficult situation they are dealing with in their life.

Found this resource that might be of use:

Emergency services

Ambulance/Fire/Police

Phone: 000

For life threatening emergencies. In an emergency you can also visit your local hospital emergency

Suicide telephone support

Suicide Call Back Service 

Phone: 1300 659 467

Lifeline

Phone: 13 11 14

Beyondblue

Phone: 1300 224 636

Samaritans Crisis Line 

Phone: 1800 198 313

Men’s Line Australia

Phone: 1300 78 99 78

QLife

Phone: 1800 184 527 Counselling services for people of diverse sex, genders and sexualities of all ages.

SANE Australia

Phone: 1800 187 263

Veterans and Veterans’ Families Counselling Service 

Phone: 1800 011 046

MiNetworks

1800 985 944

For Young People:

Kids Helpline

Phone: 1800 551 800 for young people 5-25 years

Headspace

Phone: 1800 650 890

Reachout 

www.reachout.com.au online youth mental health service

Youthbeyondblue 

Phone: 1300 224 636

Bereaved by suicide:

Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement

1800 642 066

Standby Response Service

National contact: 0458 406 640

@3forme wrote:

Its so hard to know what to do to keep loved ones safe, and we are often in the dark about how to handle things.

it can take a huge toll on us as carers, leaving us feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.

@3forme brings up an important point about the toll that caring for someone who is suicidal can take. @sarah250 what support is out there for carers, and could you possibly list some strategies on how you can keep someone safe/get them help.

Hi @Ninja28 I would point you in the direction of work that HeadSpace are doing in working with schools around the issue of suicide. I know that Standby Responce Service also does a lot of work to support schools after there has been a suicide and have resources for schools around this topic.

It's interesteing that we are fearful of talking to young people about suicide and yet if we read social media we can see that young people are talking about this issue with each other, espcially as so many young people are affected.

What we need to be careful of is that suicide is not glorified in any way and that we don't suggest means of suicide or locations.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance