Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Burn Out // Tues. 23 Jan. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

@NikNik Because I've always been the carer (as im a disability carer) i made a deal with myself this year to make my self care come first and my goals are that i need to say No more often.
Get a massage once a week.
And make time to do my arts and crafts.

Ditto for me Determined. I try and use respite services wherever I can. 2017 was a disaster as I didn’t take leave from work and there for I cared for my ‘charge’ without a break and now, in early 2018, I’m absolutely worn out!

That is great to hear @Take_me_as_i_am.  

i made a deal with myself this year to make my self care come first and my goals are that i need to say No more often.
Get a massage once a week.
And make time to do my arts and crafts. --- that is soo good @Take_me_as_i_am

I will this time try to finished my jigsaw puzzle which has been on the table for a long time

I'm a disability carer too @Take_me_as_i_am

I get a massage every few weeks, even though I don't want to spare the money.

I do 2 yoga classes each week, that helps.

Adge

My self care goals for this year:

1. Continue attending a men’s bible study when it resumes at start of school year. (This will depend on as yet unconfirmed work roster). 
  2. Exercise. I had a goal of 5000 km on my bike for 2017, that seemed reasonable at the time but I managed only 150 outside. This year I am aiming for 2000km. (That’s only 40 km or 2 hours a week)
  3. Investigate joining the local photography club. (This will be hard having to go out and meet new people)
  4. Resume another sporting activity that used to excite me.
  5. Continue with counselling sessions. I was going to  give up but gp wants me to continue either with existing councillor if she is happy to continue to see me (last visit she raised the concern that she felt she was not helping me) or find a new councillor.
    -This is all dependent on having back up supports in place at home ... work in progress...
  6. Improved diet, not that my diet is bad but I want to get back into some fruit and vege smoothies as a detox.

These are not new year resolutions as such, not big on them, but re committing to existing areas of self care that I have been discussing with my councillor over the last couple of months.   

Interesting how taking or having had a holiday doesn't seem to get a mention.  No wonder we're burning out.  It has been 4-5 years since I last had a true vacation.

Hello @Billy Smiley Happy

Thanks @Shaz51 and @Janna it had to happen, i was working way to much, never seeing my friends or family and truly burning myself out!

Oooo puzzles are great @Shaz51 my friend had a donut puzzle the other day and by the end of it.... i had to go buy donuts! I was starting to drool!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance