Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Time heals all wounds .... suicide is real ... beyond trite phrases

Hi @Appleblossom

I was doing a bit of a search and came across your post. With my youngest child now an adult I find myself having more space and trying to make sense of my sisters mental illness, how our relationship changed and my sadness around that and her eventual suicide. I had a lovely day with my daughter recently, a day to the beach which I used to do with my sister and I found myself comparing the two and how, at a much younger age, eventually I was struggling to support my sister as much as I might have liked. It's like my mind is questioning...'You can have good relationships, you are supportive'. But I guess because I was young, overwhelmed, burnt out after dealing with dysfunctional parents. I just have a lot of sadness at the moment and I guess I wonder what has helped others on this journey? Thank you

Hello @Ruby66 

I also loved the beach and took my sister on holidays when she was a teen and I was a young adult, then later did beaches with my kids.  

Had a feeling we had 'spoken' before, checked your profile and saw your thread called My Sister which is where we "met".  Its been a while. November last year!  I probably spend too much time on this forum, tho feel it is worthwhile. I have met wonderful people from all over Australia.

Keep taking good care of you.  I am learning to be more socially active, crack bad mum jokes, and stand up to the odd bully.  I mostly step back, but I am not being intimidated into silence as I used to be.  The forum has helped me broaden myself.

@Appleblossomthanks so much for your message. It feels significant when someone tells you about an experience they have had that is similar to your own.

And interested to hear the support this forum has offered you and the way it has broadened you.

Thanks for sharing

Kate

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance