Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: need advice on how to get my brother to take his meds

i feel for you. I have seen this in my own life, with my dad. My experience has been that talking to him about it, leaving letters, writing emails, just sent him off the rails. He became very defensive and adament that he is in perfect health. As you say: no insight. In fact, my bringing it up was extremely upsetting for him and his reaction upset everyone else in our family. my advice, from experience: write a list of the concerning things you have seen him do (of course, don't let him see the list). It's so easy to become desensitised to odd behaviour, to accept it as normal. When it's on paper, you might be surprised at exactly how long it's been going on. It might help you make the right decision on next steps - the mental health access line can also provide advice if the list concerns you. On the other hand, you may write it down on paper and realise that the behaviours are just 'quirky' - idiosyncratic. if that's the case, it can only put your mind at ease. I hope this helps. And i hope talking and sharing has been helpful, too. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance