Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: What to do when something is really wrong, and you cant get help

Hi Pipkin - We are from Victoriaso I'm not sure who the Chief Psychiatrist of NSW is. Try Google Smiley Happy

Thank you. I have it and will follow up.

Looks like you have had similar experiences of Emergency.

Everyone seems to think if you go to hospital when acutely unwell you will be offered treatment of referred in the right direction, yet it never works that way, and it is a waste of time going to hospital, because you just get sent home to the same situation that landed you into hospital with nothing changing.

My anorexia has absolutely nothing to do with body image, media or anything. It is about self-hate, trauma, and probably never growing up and developing adult skills. I developed anorexia at 13 yrs so missed all the normal things that teenagers do and experience, I have just been in a cocoon of anorexia ever since.

Getting bounced around and not receiving the appropriate treatment (in both medical but also impersonal) is frustrating and disappointing. 

As you mentioned, Ivana, some practitioners can seem like they don't really care, but remember that not all hospital staff are like this. Like with all things, there are 'bad' and 'good', and there always layers to this as well (i.e., understaffed hospitals, lack of resources, workplace culture) which can influence 'bad' behaviour.  I don't want to excuse poor behaviour, it's never ok to be treated badly. But as you mentioned Ivana, perhaps some broader societal changes need to happen. This can't happen if people don't voice their concerns about the (lack of) treatment that they are receiving.  

If you are unwell, it's important to seek treatment, and not hold back because you believe you won't get treated. If you feel like you don't get the treatment or the respect you deserve, remember that you have right, and you can voice your concerns through the Health Commissioner in your state. 

Hi Pipkin,

I sent you a message in the LE forum - you might want to try calling Mental Health Advocacy Serivve on Ph: 02 92195000 or Ph: 02 97476155.

Let us all know how you are doing

Hobbit

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance