Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Maze
Contributor

What is a mental health crisis?

I have the number for my local mental health crisis team and have often felt the need to use it for my husband, but then I start second guessing myself. Does he really need it- I can get one or 2 words out of him? Is this a crisis? etc. What behaviour would be classified as a crisis? I understand that someone saying theyre suicidal is a crisis but what about if they shut down and stop/or are barely communicating? What if they're sleeping almost around the clock or just getting up late and then spending all day in front of the tv?  I understand everyone is different but a general idea would be good.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: What is a mental health crisis?

Hi @Maze,

This is a good question. I do not have an answer but looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks.

cheers.

Hi @Maze, that's a really good question.  From my experience in mental health, the CATT team generally get involved when there is an element of risk.  So that might be that someone is a risk to themselves (plans to self-harm or suicide) or to others through behaving threateningly (in which case they attend with the police). 

It doesn't sound like your husbands behaviour fits these categories but I would stil encourage you to call them when you reach a point where you don't know what to do for him.  When you ring there is a phone triage system where you have to answer some questions about what's happening.  From this the CATT team will advise you about what steps you should take.  It might be that they get involved or they might advise on another course of action.  Either way you're better informed.

Of course, CATT teams vary and the individuals involved vary too.  One day you might get someone very helplful but the next time is doesn't pan out so well.  It can take some resilience to reach out for help and take the good responses with the bad.  I would still always encourage people to try.

If you do call, let us know how you go. 

I hear that you are concerned and on heightened alert for your husband. I am used to living with introverted people, sometimes they/we just need silence sometimes to connect.

I had a recent crisis and saw a new GP, instead of the CATT team. She was helpful.  She discriminated between passive and active suicidal ideation, which was very important in my case.

Ie is it just a verbal expression of despair or is there an active intention or plan. I deal with a very high level of passive SI.

It sounds a good idea to trust the CATT triage process.

Dear @Maze

I'm getting little shakes going around my eyes remembering calling Pet team here in Western Australia ....that is the emergency Psych team here in Western Australia. This was over 3 years ago,

I've heard it's better now. 

The only thing that I can suggest is to call if anyone you feel, especially yourself is at risk of harm. I remember calling and having some operators Useless.  Me having to call again ...already in incredible stress and complain of the operator then beg for someone to call out.

So..... keep it VERY TIGHT when you call.

something like;

I am concerned of his safety and I feel that he needs medical attention immediately for siucide;

These are his symptoms;

This is what his activity has been like; 

What stresses are happening around him.

As his Loved one and his FULLTIME carer; I am concerned about;

I can't emphasise the last pointer enough.

YOU are the most important. You are his fulltime carer. If you are not happy with anyone including the operator, you ask to speak to someone else. 

I feel the best thing for you to do is to say to him in a very loving and caring way that you need as much suppport as possible to your husband and this is a decision you will make if you feel he or you are in danger.

So, the difference from your situation and my situation was that my husband was trying to quit drinking and taking drugs, .......there was no help. He should have been put into a detox centre or hospital  with very big boundries around him immediately and .......there was no help because of his past record. 

Now he is fine on that train of activity,,,but thats a different story.

Thanks for your question, Its making me realise how much both hubby and I have changed.

Me too lol

Thanks for that. It makes me feel a bit more confident to phone knowing that they then make the decision on what's best. I didn't know about the triage system. It is very hard to decide what to do when you barely see them because they're sleeping constantly or its hard to communicate with them.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I don't think he would actually carry it out but he has told me it enters his head every day- even when he's doing ok. He is very introverted and private and doesn't want to make me feel worse by letting me down or telling me how bad he feels when I have a stressful job. Thing is, I feel more annoyed that he barely tells me anything unless I really push him into it. I'm living in a house where there are 2 people but I spend all day by myself!. That drives me crazy!!

It would be nice to go back a few years where they would be forced into rehab lol. Now, if they say they don't want to they can't make them and as You say, because of previous history the services aren't available. I am lucky that I feel confident in that he would never be physically violent towards me or anyone else even if he's had a drink.

So there are a few ethical boundaries he has set. Can you just watch movies together?

Would he go to a group for MI or other interests like U3A.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance