Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

C101
Casual Contributor

Refusing Meds

What to do? My child needs either a hospital stay, or meds, or both. She's not interested in either. Now what?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Refusing Meds

Hi C101,

Is your child a minor or an adult?

Do you know why shes not interested in a hospital stay or medication?

For example,has she had a bad experence with hospitals or medicine  side effects before or is it rather that she has no insight into her illness?

I think your other post mentioned OCD type symptoms,has she seen a psychologist for help with this or is she open to that?

HI  C101

Medication and hospitalisation are tricky in the world on mental health. You might be guided by your daughters health proffessional. If you need support there are a number of agencies that can help carers such as the mental illnesss fellowship and others.

Hi @C101

Although your daughter is refusing treatment at the moment which it sounds like leaves you feeling helpless and scared for her? there are some steps that you can take  ( which will be slightly different depending on the answers to questions below ie age, whether she is refusing due to fear or bad experience and exactly what is happening for her) such as contacting an mental health agency which supports cares like you ie

Mental Illness Fellowship (as Artaud suggested) 1800 985 944

Carer Connections helpline 1800 655 198

ARAFMI 1800 655 198

SANE 1800 187 263

and asking to be connected to mental health outreach workers, counselling, case management and whatever else they may have availiable. 

I hope that you can find someone who can help

Take Care

Fancy_Pants 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance