Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Pain medication and depression.

Hi,

I am hoping someone may have some insight into my situation.

My partner who suffers depression has been on a pain medication which seem to have had the affect of his not requiring his anti depressants. Although this could have been just a result of recovery which could have happened anyway. Now there is concern for managing without these drugs as they can be addictive. 

I am not sure what I can do to help.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Pain medication and depression.

Hi @Former-Member,

It sounds a little out of our depth medication wise.... am I right in understanding that your main concern is whether or not he will lapse back into depression if he stops the pain medication??  what did his doctor say regarding whether or not the pain meds are addictive? Maybe you can ask his doctor what he can do to reduce any possible side effects of stopping ie wean him off slowly? 

Then perhaps discuss with the GP a "mental health plan" (up to 10 free/subsidised sessions) so your partner could access a psychologist if you see any symptoms of depression returning? 

Hi. Yes was mainly concerned with a relapse. The pain meds can be addictive so thinking it might be a bit of a double whammy.

Has your husband discussed it with doctor or have concerns too?  Has it been a sudden reduction?

It is possible either way .. try and talk it through with him.

Hi yes there have been discussions. My partner is a bit of a control freak and there is only so much I can do. I am concerned that if his anxiety increases he will not take the meds and just try to live with the pain and discomfort which will increase the anxiety. Thanks for responding I really appreciate it.

Dear @Former-Member

I'm in a slightly similar position to your husband.  For 10 years I have been on anti depressants but kept it at a low dose .. or trying to come off .. probably too low a dose. 

Since October my new GP put me on a higher dose than ever before.  I am living a fairly full life and it has helped a lot that my anxiety is cushioned by the meds.

We all have to make our own decisions.  I dont regret being on the low doses for so long ... for my personal history reasons I guess I believed it the right thing at the time. 

Best wishes to you and your husband in dealing with this.

Thanks again. I also have a propensity for anxiety which apparently is a result of ongoing high stress levels. You have inspired me to focus back on my own behaviour.
Cheers.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance