Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

007mum
Contributor

Eeeek

I have had the most emotionally awful day yet.
My son is in a psyc ward and was very agitated today. He told his nurse he was thinking of self harming so they escalated his care. They medicated him earlier than usual to try get him to sleep but he pushed through the medication. Then they found him tearing skin off his feet....
He is rapidly reducing his old anti depressants and going on new ones as well as being in a place that makes him uncomfortable....
I wish there was something I could do
😞
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Eeeek

The 'unbearable lightness of being' can be too much for us when we are young.

I have to confess that I did the same thing but never considered it SH. It has a particular name which you can google.  If it is an outlet without getting into more physically damaging methods of SH then you have lots of potential to help him ... just love him ... maybe ground him in physical stuff somehow ... I dont know if he is sporty or more arty ... exercises movement ... just letting him know you are there.

Thinking and caring ....

that month when my son was in mhu was the worst month of my life ... and I have had a tough life ... keep some focus also on your self care ... so you can be there with him .. I do believe early intervention can really change the shape and quality of life for those with times of MI.

Thanks for the insight @Appleblossom!
I did check it out on the Google :).
Fingers crossed he is doing better today

Hi @007mum,

How are things with your son?

And how are you?

I hope things have improved, and that you're doing ok

CherryBomb

Hi @CherryBomb
Things are pretty rough at the moment. His self harm has escalated and he escaped yesterday. He is really angry and paranoid that the nurses are out to get him (particularly a few of the males)
His room mate drives him nuts (doesn't shower, is messy and masturbates on the bed)
They have changed his meds slightly and seemed more settled this evening
Mumma is getting a massage tomorrow 🙂

Hi @007mum

So glad to hear that you're taking some time out for you during the rough period. 

Sorry to hear that you son's SH has esculated. He sounds very distressed. Has he returned to hospital after his escpae?

CherryBomb

@CherryBomb
He escaped and walked home. He came in the back gate as I was talking to his nurse. They agreed not to call the police if he was back within 90 minutes as long as he stayed with me.
We hung out with the dogs, got maccas and went back.... He is involuntary, but feeling very distressed 😞

@007mum

Smiley Sad Has he been like this before?

If he has, perhaps remind him that he can and has worked through it before. 

I guess one positive thing admidst the chaos and distress is that he is getting treatment. 

Hope you enjoy your massage tomorrow. 

**hugs**

CherryBomb

@CherryBomb
This is the worst he has ever been. He rang me today so totally distressed.
I went and seen his care team straight away. The first thing the psyc consult did was give me tissues as if to say stop crying! He seemed very uncomfortable with emotion!
Tonight I spent around an hour with my favourite nurse on the unit...we just chatted she was great! I love talking to her because she is so level headed, yet gentle. My son loves her too.
I am thankful I have some wonderful friends around, but this type of thing sure helps you weed out the dodgy friends

Hi @007mum,

How are things? It's great that you've been able to connect with the nurse. In some ways, the nurse seems more approach than the psych. Is that an accurate observation?

I hope things are doing ok. From what you'd written in your post. It seems that things are a little bit better. 

Stay well,

CherryBomb

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance