Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Despair due to relationship breakdown

Oh @john74 

My message disappeared I wrote you I'll rewrite it

Dear @john74 

I'm here.

Remember we wrote before that some people in relationships act badly and don't even realise it, for years or maybe never realise it. 

But you can choose you you are going to react.

Getting nurtured from your support people even if it's Sane forums is maybe all you can hold onto this long weekend .......@PinkFlamingo @Shaz51 @faithandhope @greenpea @Appleblossom @Loopy @Parzival @TAB @Bill16 

Have you food in the cupboard and do you like watching television ?

• Hi @PeppyPatti l think she is using emotion black mail because her messages last night were that she feels so bad and hates herself for doing this to be and apologising profusely but not even listening to how l feel. This is the second time in 2 years this has happened my marriage break down happened in late 2022 after domestic violence and abuse to me over a long time and l lost contact with my kids. I never believed it would happen again but it has. I can't sleep am barely eating and am emotional mess.

Hey there @john74 🌺

Im really sorry to hear about what’s happening - it’s really difficult to manage these kind of situations because they are confusing, painful and overwhelming …

I can understand coming out of a long relationship and getting divorced after DV in late 2022, and consequently having no contact with family - a very similar situation occurred to me in 2015 where I left a marriage after some pretty awful long terms stuff, which made me lose my entire identity while I was so downtrodden for so long (17+ years) by someone I was devoted to. 
afterwards, I realised that I was so vulnerable because there was a kind of person who was like a predator: men I came in contact with seemed to see the vulnerability and naïveté and told me they cared, but as soon as they could see I was allowing them a little bit more into my life, they would do harm for their own advantage. Very manipulative, cruel, and abusive harms. 
Reluctantly, I realised there’s an entire world of existence where predation occurs for pure advantage, where some people use mechanisms to get to know people like us in our vulnerable states and times, and use that for their own gain. Unwittingly, I had been abused by these types of people, as it seems you have here in this situation. 
I believe the people that do this kind of thing are desperate people; they have significant multiple issues that cause them to do almost anything to cope with their own situation, and we are effectively collateral damage - in light of this, please, do not take it personally: this woman is showing signs of not understanding herself or her needs or her goals very well at all imho, so it’s best you do what you can to extract yourself from the situation as quickly and as easily as possible. 
First things I did: 

* found a place to store my belongings (furniture, appliances, etc)

* packed light, kept everything I needed in my car, and slept in it far away from where I could be tracked down, and showered at truck stops, washing my clothes by hand and drying them in the car

* looked daily for a place to live, actively submitted applications for rentals via the internet on my phone in the car

* advised all of my billers (phone bill, other payments, etc) that I was essentially homeless and can they pause payment requirements till I find a fixed address. 
* approached food charities and places where food was served so I could eat at least once a day (I didn’t have an income or benefits at this time so I was completely financially isolated)

* asked police to help me retrieve remaining property I didn’t have access to remove when I left (they refused to help me so that took a long time to finally get help to get the remainder of my personal essential medical equipment from the house - be aware that authorities don’t always respond well to victims of DV, and can easily victim blame, while being drawn into the manipulations of the person who is taking steps to control and manipulate you)

* take note of important dates and events, changes in relationship dynamics, and what you plan to do as a result of what is happening. 
The time for dealing with the pain is not now, I’m very sorry to say. Even though you’re at your most distressed, you must focus on your health and wellbeing by removing yourself from this situation in whatever way you can (the reason I mention some of what I did was to hopefully inspire ideas on how to get out). 
The person you have moved in with is demonstrating emotionally volatile and unpredictable behaviour, which is not at all the kind of reliable, caring foundation to build any kind of long term future on. Despite loving this person, you must place yourself and your emotional and environmental safety FIRST, and remove yourself. 
The best opportunity is to start this process while she is away camping. 
I know it sounds sensible to try to discuss where things went wrong, and to try to reasonably resolve things so they can return to a semblance of normal, but I do have to inform you of the great lack of confidence I have in that process with this person, because they have already demonstrated a lack of respect and care for you which is beyond what can be repaired (tumultuous pain dished out with such ease means it will only get worse as time moves on). 
To save more hurt, I feel the best thing to do in this situation is to leave, and leave as quickly as possible. 

im sorry to be so stark in my comments, however I have seen this happen to me and to other people who are vulnerable after long term abuse and consequent relationship breakdown, where predation occurs by people who have significant self-serving needs and are volatile in their interactions. 
If a person is sending you messages telling you it’s over, they don’t have anything anywhere near affection for you - best thing is to move out of that sphere of influence, and once you’re away and safe, then work on processing the pain of what’s happened. 
Also, if they have access to any important documents (especially anything that demonstrates ownsership), bank accounts, sentimentally valuable things, or other items of value, do your utmost immediately to secure them. 

I tend to think of people who do what is happening to you as unwitting or unaware scammers, yet to develop their awareness of what they are doing as making their lives easier by feeding off of vulnerability. Later, the tendency seems to only get worse as they move into realisation that this kind of behaviour works for them, and they move from person to person, doing what they do.

Take care. Start packing. 
🦩🌺

Hi @PinkFlamingo understand what you have said but l have no were to stay a d l don't want to be in the house when she returns on Monday. I have applied for other rental properties but that takes time we are both on the lease l have already told the agent the relationship has broken down but l have no money to do much right this second l feel so used and abused. She was in a commission home that was a huge mess and l helped her clean it up. I am so scared the cops will turn up and throw me out l have mental health issues and have attempted suicide twice before after my ex wife left. 

Yeah, @john74 

i do understand. 
do you have a vehicle? 
and I was wondering if you’ve contacted any other housing options that are temporary for the now? Maybe that’s an option if you don’t want to be there. 
Are your agent looking for a place for you? Hopefully they are understanding and helpful. In the mean time it might be worth asking about the forms to remove your name off the lease, and asking them to come do an inspection while you are still there, so they know the state of the home is ok while you’re there (so when you leave, if she tends to leave things in disarray then there is no possible way that it can be contributed to you, because you requested an inspection and removed yourself from the lease, prior to the disarray). 
There are quite a few warning flags here, and I know it’s hard right now, but I encourage you to be proactive at the moment, get to a place away from this person, then take the time to process your feelings of hurt afterwards 🌺

the utmost importance is removing yourself from this environment for the now, from what I’m reading in your messages, because staying is only prolonging the hurt. 
I was also wondering what her reaction will be if you’re still there when she gets back? With her sending you a message while she is away, I’m assuming it also means she doesn’t want you to be there when she returns. 
please reach out to local services in your area today, and see what they can do for you. 
And I just want to say how sorry I am to hear you have been through deep crisis with the breakdown of your marriage, it sounds like it was devastating for you 💜, but please do not be afraid; you can do this, and you should do this to care for yourself and remove yourself from an unhealthy situation 🙂

Also, if you are demonstrating you are doing your best under difficult circumstances, I wouldn’t expect any services to create an environment where they interpret you as being at risk (unless you disclose that to them - if you do feel at risk, please do seek the right kind of help). Otherwise, please take a deep breath and look after yourself with reaching out to agencies in your area  🌺🙂

I know I seem like a thorn in your side, but I have been in your situation, and chances are very slim to none that things are able to be normalised/reconciled in these particular instances. 
take good care, and please reach out to community supports 🌺

edit: the other option is to get locks changed while she is away, and tell the agent she no longer lives there, and to request the start of processing her off the lease. 
then, start packing all her things, and inform her she needs to find a different place to live. 
you are both on the lease, so that is also an option. 
however it is best to speak to your agent, and report what has happened to local support services. 
then maybe you can stay on and lease the home on your own, till you find more suitable accommodation? 
Im in NSW so the support for tenancy is here tenants dot org dot au  however there are support agencies that can give you guidance in each state (if you give NSW a buzz they can refer you if you can’t find them on the www. 

Dear @john74 

I like what @PinkFlamingo writes - 

this woman is showing signs of not understanding herself or her needs or her goals very well at all. 

Perhaps she is really apologetic or not. 

What could change is 

Verbal communication.

Not caring about your needs.  

zoo-animal-portraits-mac-so-18.jpg

Hi @PinkFlamingo l am in Victoria.  Not sure l can change the locks but l feel what will happen when she returns 

Hi @PeppyPatti thre sure is no   communication 

Yes I do understand @john74 

Just in case you feel like reaching out for advice, here are two resources for you: 

Tenants Victoria and Housing Victoria (govt)  🙂

And the final one might be having a look at info from Vic police  and their Fact sheets 

Always remember you have a right to safety as where you live is your place too 🙂 

Stay safe 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance