Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

D1ng0
Senior Contributor

Loving hobbies again

Hey folks! I hope you're doing okay. I would love to hear about your experiences with regaining enthusiasm/enjoyment of hobbies, if you have struggled with depression (and/or other mental illnesses) which reduce those positive feelings or sap your energy. Did you come back to hobbies that you previously enjoyed, or did you discover new interests? What do you currently love doing? I'd especially love to hear happy stories about things you couldn't do previously, but which are now accessible/enjoyable to you. Thank you in advance!!

(I hope this is the right forum space for this! Apologies if not.)

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Loving hobbies again

I currently love MTB and skating. Always been into it but took a break from MTB when I had a bad accident and struggled to get back on the bike, not just physically but mentally getting past a pretty scary experience but now I am back to riding often.
I am also a big gardener but I wasn’t when I was younger… that came about from some difficult work experiences and not finding the right path for me and then I found gardening and never looked back it is my job and my hobby 
@D1ng0

@ArraDreaming Awesome, I'm really glad you were able to get back into a hobby that you loved, it sounds like you've come really far in that physical/psychological recovery 😊 Really cool that your job can also be your hobby as well!!

Yep I love getting my hands dirty and creating and maintaining nice spaces for people to relax @D1ng0

What do you like @D1ng0

I also used to love making music @D1ng0 but that’s something I prefer to listen to now instead

@ArraDreaming Part of the reason I made this post is because I'm still in the thick of it, in terms of managing my physical/mental conditions 😊 So I'm looking for hope through the stories of others who have regained a love for their hobbies, as I'm not there yet. And my nerve pain keeps me from weightlifting, which I used to love.

I don't adore it the way I used to adore writing and art, but I have started to read books again. I dunno if that counts as a hobby, but it's a way to spend my time which doesn't require the effort of making something, so it feels much more accessible.

Hey

Love this thread idea. 

For me I sometimes find it hard to engage on my favourite hobbies. My mood or my health can get in the way. 

I have found a few things that help. 

• Find people to do the hobby with. Having people around you helps motivate you to keep it up and hobbies are a great way to make friends or engage in community. 
  • Have hobbies incorporated on your routine. Especially if you are unable to work making a structure and routine that includes hobbies really helps, especially when lacking motivation. 
  • Doing it anyway. I know this is cliche...but once you for yourself to do it the enjoyment can come later. It's like that quote feel the fear and do it anyway. Forcing yourself to engage in things can really lift the mood and you may find some space to enjoy or feel good while doing it

Those few things helped me a lot. I have a group of people I play magic the gathering with on saturdays...it my longest hobby I've kept up and I'm glad I still love it. 

Another hobby i have is art. I'm turning it into a source of income, so I like to think of it as a job now. Which means I make myself get some form of creativity every day in. Even if I don't like it/don't want to. It is just something I have to do. I love art so it helps when I get into my studio. 

Another hobby I have is other card games. I found a group at a library I play canasta with every Monday afternoon. It's always a good laugh and lots of fun. I have a support worker to take me so I have no excuse not to go, and the ladies I play with I would let down if I don't show. 

My other hobbies is gaming. I get random news articles on latest games with Google so it reminds me to play something or helps finding something new to play. 

@D1ng0 I'm curious to what art you do. 

Reading is a good passed time and hobby. It's like a passive hobby that can really help with mood and mental health. Getting lost in another world can be fun. 

@The-red-centaur Thanks for sharing what your hobbies are, and how you navigate hobbies with mental illness 😊

Well, I don't really make art anymore. The most I do is take a sketchbook with me so I have something to do before appointments. It helps keep boredom and pre-appointment anxiety at bay, but I don't/can't dedicate more time to art than that.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance