Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Lavender
Casual Contributor

I am new and today I feel lonely

Hi all you carers out there,! 

Let me introduce myself. I am a 52 year young woman. The last 4years have been an absolute roller coaster ride. 2011 my husband (let's call him Lorence)then 52 was diagnosed with early onset vascular dementia.We have two beautiful children, at the time of my husbands diagnoses they where 10 and 12 years old. Needles to say that my husbands diagnoses (even though I already knew for a while that something was very wrong) threw me into a crysis. Coming to terms with such a devastating diagnosis was hard and honestly to begin with I was very angry, particularly about the fact that Lorence had neglected his health for years and despite my pleading never got his weight and blood pressure under control. When I finally got him into the emergency department with a blood pressure spiking 220/145 the news was disaterous. He was diagnosed with having had already several mini strokes, shrinkage of the brain, damage to the small blood vessels, the list went on and on. What did this all mean for me. Trying to inform our two young children as sensitively and child appropriately about dads diagnosis. Taking over the family finances (scary as I had no clue and was scared what I would find). Coming to terms with the fact that I would remain the only breadwinne as well as active parent, decision maker, long term carer for my husband who's decline was and remains unpredictable. The situation is further complicated by the fact that Lorence and I both migrated 25 years ago from Europe that means no extended family. 

But this was just the beginning of bad things to happen. At the time I also had a job in health care working in one of Sydney's large hospitals. Not only did that the job come with huge responsibility but sadly it also came with a lot of internal stress and bullying ( sometimes I was not sure what is worse my work life or my private life) . Then 2013 I had a work accident which caused a very bad wrist fracture which required surgery and took month of recovery. Not ideal when one is the carer in the house. 2014 things at work got so bad that I had to finally take time off and subsequently resigned from my position ( best decision ever) , just when I had found a new dream job I was hit by a car trying to cross a road in Sydney CBD. WOULD YOU BELIVE  being hit by a reversing car in a one way street. The impact which I did not see coming (well who looks in a one way street the opposite side) caused a broken shoulder several broken rips, pelvic  fractures, I was out for weeks and so was my dream job. The first 6 weeks after the accident where a absolute nightmare. I was in severe pain could hardly move let alone doing all the things to run a household care for two teenagers and a disabled husband on top of it dealing with the insurance was and is a continuous nightmare. Unfortunately I had to go down the route of getting a lawyer involved (something I never thought I had to do). On the bright  side, I did get the dream job after all, earlier this year I started and I enjoy every minute of my working hour. The insurance struggle is ongoing and that maybe is why I feel down and all alone  today. I had to see one of the medico legal Dr's from the insurer side today. I find the whole process frustrating immoral and the only people profiting from it are lawyer, medico legal people and some healthcare providers who charge double the normal fee when they find out it's a insurance case. So now enough of feeling sorry for myself. I am looking forward to being part of a forum and able to vent a few frustrations from time to time. Hope all y

12 REPLIES 12

Re: I am new and today I feel lonely

Welcome @Lavender

Lavender is calming for me

So much caring in your story

So much courage .. just getting up again after pain bad luck and adversity

You deserve a dream job.

cheers

Hi @Lavender,

I just wrote on @Lamington's thread here, and thought that you both share some common issues caring for your partner (she's just moved on from hers). You might want to connect and share experiences.

BeHappy

Welcome to the Forums @Lavender.

What a strong person you must be. It sounds like you’ve been faced with challenge after challenge. I’m so glad that your dream job is bringing you some brightness amidst it all. It’s so important to have something for you when you spend so much of your time being there for others.

Sometimes it helps to share your story and there is always someone here to listen on the Forums. There are a several members who care for a partner and I’m sure they understand how lonely it can be and how difficult it is when another challenge is thrown into the mix. @Mene ’s husband also lives with dementia and @hippyjingle67, @Joyjoy68, @wondermore and @Shaz51 all take on a carer role when their husbands are unwell. @Mene @hippyjingle67 @Joyjoy68 @Shaz51 feel free to jump in with any tips for @Lavender

Welcome once again @Lavender. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

hi lavender welcom to the forum, thank you so much for sharing your story.  caring for someone with dementia can be a challenge to say the least. not only do i care for my partner with major depression/anxiety, but i also am employed as a carer in a nursing facility, which has been my job for the past 20 years on/off. your story is very close to my heart, while i love my job and the people that i care for , very much, the challenges are greater. i admire your strength and tanacity, considering all that you have been through, on such a personal level. what a warrior woman you are, you have never given up, just dusted yourself off and kept going, one foot in front of the other. i would be interested to know which part of the world you live in, and if you have access to resources, that will help you a little when you need it, such as respite for your husband, which also gives you a break aswell. its not a crime to have some time to yourself, you need it every now and again, i have learnt that from personal experience. if you have the internet in your home, please use it to find where you can get help from, while you have amazing strength, you do need a break from everything. i will be happy to offer any assistance i can, warrior woman xx lotsa lov n hugs to you your amazing xx

Welcome to the forum.  Life has certainly dished out it's fair share of hardship for you over the past several years.  I want to commend you on the strength and courage that you have in being able to navigate these difficulties and keep yourself "sane".  You wouldn't happen to be a Cancerian by any chance would you?  Every Cancerian I know, including myself have experienced enormous difficulties over the past few years, but the good news is that this cycle is coming to an end in 2015!! 

I had to laugh ... but not in a funny ha ha sort of way about all the things that have happened.  It made me think of my own roller coaster ride from hell that I've been on as well.  My bad luck and circumstances escalated to the point of ridiculousness and I was actually acused of fabricating stories by someone because of the incredulous nature of things.  When things get to this level many people start disbelieving and questioning your credibility.  I believe you and I want to offer my understanding of how hard things have been.  Typing out what's happened doesn't do justice to the enormous pain that you've experienced, both mentally and physically.  

I understand your difficulties and can't imagine how hard things have been for you.  I fully appreciate the medicolegal aspects of your accident(s) because my ex-H is a medicolegal assessor for both the Workers Comp Commission and Motor Accidents Authority and I am the admin/secretary/typist for all these assessments of permanent impairment.  It's a long gruelling process to get through all the assessments and finally be awarded something. 

Reaching out for support is great and such a positive thing to do.  It's important to feel validated and to have a place where you can just offload and I hope that doing that helps.  I'm so happy to hear that you've found a job that you love and hope that this sets the trend for things to start improving.

Take care

Janna x

Hi Acacia 

thanks for your lovely reply . I will get in touch with your suggested members 😀

Hi Jana 

what a lovely caring reply to my post I never would have thought to receive such a warm welcome I was not even sure if anyone would read my post at all. . I also had to laugh when you said that some people question your credibility if one thing after another goes wrong, at times I  ask myself if people think I am a drama queen ( I am so not) by the way I am not a Cancerian I am a Piscean any experience re. Pisces.

I must say 2015 so far has been a fabulous year though, sure there is still the ongoing thing with last years accident. Which will  most likely drag on for some time but my life has been so delightfully uneventful this year. Just the normal expected problems, hiccups, husband driving you crazy because you send him out to get some (one) bread he comes back with 6 as he can not decide. Teenagers starving in front of the full fridge "mum can you go and buy food there is nothing to eat " sure I could feed a hungry army with what's in the fridge. And so the list goes when it all gets to much I retreat, like now mother carer on strike." Ah" and what a delight tomorrow I am of to work. I hope your streak of bad luck has also come to an end  Jana take care and stay in touch XOX Lavender

Hi hippijingle

thanks for your lovely warmhearted reply. Yep caring for someone with dementia can be very very challenging. At the same time it is also a great opportunity to learn patience and acceptance something I really realy struggled to begin with. Don't get me wrong I still can loose it sometimes  but I quickly calm down again by reminding myself it's not his fault. I think the hardes thing is to lose the person you know, sometimes I look at my husband and think "who are you"

I am sure that caring for someone with depression is just as challenging and I am sure that there is plenty of opinion about that people just have to snap out of it. At least I don't have to deal with that nobody asks of someone with dementia to snap out of it. I hope to hear again from you send you also a warm hug X Lavender

Hi Lavender         , welcome to the forum , yes I am 51 and my husband is 55 has major depression and anxiety , every day is so uncertain , some days I need to take a deep breath and and step back before saying something and you can`t say snap out of it because they can`t . keep in touch

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance