Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jlol
Senior Contributor

What do I do about work when I'm having severe depression?

I'm in a state right now where I have been suffering a particularly bad depressive "episode" for multiple days.

Doctor gave me a certificate to take time off work, but I cant - out of sick leave (all leave for that matter).

Being at work does not help - in fact it makes my mood much worse. But I have bills to pay and need the money.

What are you meant to do?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What do I do about work when I'm having severe depression?

Dear @Jlol ,

I'm hearing how hard things are for you at the moment.

From what I'm reading, work is not helping your MH, yet you don't have the option to leave work because bills don't stop coming in?

Have you spoken to your GP about this to see what they suggest?

For some people, work keeps them going. Or, would it be about looking for different kind of work?

I hope things get better for you very soon.

@Jlol  I feel for you with your bad depression 😞

I had to give up work eventually, mine was too bad. So I don't know what to say to you, other then to offer empathy 😞

I really hope your depression eases very soon...

Hi Tyme, thanks for your reply

From what I'm reading, work is not helping your MH, yet you don't have the option to leave work because bills don't stop coming in?

Yes that is correct

Have you spoken to your GP about this to see what they suggest?

Many times with many GPs. They just suggest therapy and antidepressants, which I've done on repeat for about 20 years.

For some people, work keeps them going. Or, would it be about looking for different kind of work?

For me its not the kind of job I'm doing. In fact I quite like my job and workplace. It's the lack of work/life balance that I find most difficult. Again, my workplace is normal there too - 9 to 5, 5 days a week.

But add to that about 1.5 hours commuting plus getting ready and wind-down time and those 8 hrs turn into 11.

Then add chores like shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc.

By the end of each day I am exhausted and drained. No time or energy other than to prepare yourself for the next day of work. Rinse and repeat.

For me it's just hell. Work/commute/chores/sleep/repeat. Sure there's the weekends, but that's only 2 out of 7 days - a drop in the ocean overall.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance