Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

SSB
New Contributor

Self harm son.

Hello, I'm new to the forum. My 14 year old son has been self harming for about the last 18 months or so..we just had another hospital visit on the weekend due to the need for medical intervention for his wounds.  I had a bit of a panic attack today with the stress of having dress his wounds and not getting it right.   Just feeling a bit overwhelmed, traumatised, exhausted and alone. So thought it was definitely time to reach out to others who 'get it'. Thanks for reading. 🙏

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Self harm son.

Hi @SSB, thank you so much for reaching out, and welcome to the community here Heart

It's so understandable to be feeling all the things you're feeling - as a parent, having to be so involved with the wounds as well- it's understandably confronting, and also painful when those we care for are suffering. 

A big hug from me to you (if you'd like), and hopefully some others with similar experiences will be able to able to reach out too. 

Carers need support too just like those they care for need support- I hope you both have or can find good support.

Take good care 💞

@SSB 

there are a lot of parents here who's children have complex mental health issues. Try searching through some of the thread topics and I'm sure you'll connect with people in a similar situation.

Wishing you kindness.

S x

You poor thing,  that's rough for a parent to go through,  you have to be the carer when the trauma makes you need to be cared for,  I hope you can access some support 

Thank you! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance