Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Magneto
Casual Contributor

Problem with social media on smart phones

Am interested in others experience with smart phones and ease of access to social media. It would appear to me that those with an underlying condition, social media can quickly exacerbate mania,  especially when linked with grandiose tendencies. 

In this case, do you limit social media use? This can be difficult with an adult. What about switching mobile phone hardware to one of the older style phones that can't even work social media apps. What are others experiences? Thanks, 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Problem with social media on smart phones

Hi there Magneto,

For me social media is a blessing, but also somewhat of a curse. My mental health struggles have not involved mania, so I can't speak to that specifically, but I've found that is has exacerbated symptoms of depression at times. That said, I've also found it to be quite supportive and validating. 

Was there something specifically that got you wondering, @Magneto?

I agree, social media can be terrific for following your interests and connecting with the people you love, wherever they may be. But for conditions that are episodic in nature, it can be a two edged sword and I'm wondering if others have found a technological solution to what is mostly a technology induced problem? Thanks Rhye. 

My experience is, that though there can be benefits, it needs to be well managed.  It can become addictive.  Recognising that need is key.  Sometimes my son gives me his phone and computer cos he is on a detox.  Its best when the person realises it and takes it on board themselves.

For me, @Magneto , I've chosen not to engage in the popular social media platforms. I don't have their apps, I don't have accounts with them and I prefer it to stay that way.

I haven't missed out by not having social media on my phone. I'm sure, if anything, it has saved me from things I didn't need to know. Social media is developed to entice and keep you addicted. The longer you stay on, the more money these companies make.

Social media will do more harm than good for me. SANE forums is the only platform I engage in. 

People always think they 'need' social media. Once it's gone, you won't miss it - and you'll have so much more time on your hands.

Of course, this is my opinion. I'm not stopping anyone from using social media.

It's a good thing your son recognises when he's becoming vulnerable and will voluntarily hand the phone over. In the meantime there are others who are equally vulnerable, while gleefully acting out their grand imaginary life with real people! 

You hit the nail on the head @Magneto ! It certainly is about ppl acting out their grand imaginary lives! People post what they WANT to post. Life is not all glitter, glam and smiles.

I am need social media and my smart phone....my only connection to people.  Thank goodness for my phone and social media as I am totally isolated, alone, doomed.

@Magneto I quit social media a little while ago.  Honestly it was the best thing I could do.  I have quit before after reading some fantastic books on the evils of social media.  But then when I got my autism diagnosis I wanted to connect with others who could relate so I dived back into Facebook and joined a bunch of ASD groups.  It was good for a short time but I very quickly burnt out and just deleted my account again.  I personally find my mental health is much better without it.

@BPDSurvivor 

I joined Sane forum before I had any social media accounts.  I then went on facebook for a few years and discovered the sense of addictiveness and could relate to my son more. Now I have a reduced profile and use.

Smiley Happy

@Magneto @Molly22 @Owen45 

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance