Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Cocoarrarra
New Contributor

Please tell me this gets better - self harm, suicidal teen

My 15 year old has been seeing a psychologist for over a year and a psychatrist for three months. I discovered in August the extent of her self harm - causing terrible and likely permanent scarring - and I am currently with her round the clock, including sharing a bed which is squishy and uncomfortable, because she is suicidal. She has a dx of GAD and OCD and is on medication  but it does not seem to be helping. I feel hopeless and desperately guilty. I can't see how this is going to get better or how I can stop it having a terrible impact on my other two kids.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Please tell me this gets better - self harm, suicidal teen

Hey @Cocoarrarra 

Sorry to hear about your situation.  Do you have any idea of what the pain is that she is avoiding by doing Self Harm? Does she feel safe to be vulnerable and does she understand feelings of shame and guilt do you think?

I ask because shame can give powerful motivations towards toxic behaviours if a person cannot feel they can be vulnerable to that shame.  

I can identify with your stressful situation, I was suicidal at 15/16 years old, thankfully got help from psychiatrists at Rivendell Adolescent Unit, Concord. 

I am sorry to hear you are ALL going through this.

Can i just say how much of an amazing mother you really are and how strong you are supporting your duaghter thourgh this there will come a time she will be so very thankful. (My mother did the same for me but i was a lot younger i owe that women mylife)

Hold your daughter hold her tight and cry together please tell your daughter just how incredibly strong she really is to make it just how far she has and what a woderful story of life she has to share with the world once she is ready. The best thing you can offer is be open and raw with your communitcate with her let her know that your all there for her with what ever she needs. Maintain her regualr doctors and loads of sunshine vitium d will ake her feel better 

I've been learning about "protective factors". I find it kind of helpful to look at them together on a list. It takes a village of people and protective factors. Here's a list i got from the

"Major protective factors for suicide include:
  • Effective behavioral health care
  • Connectedness to individuals, family, community, and social institutions
  • Life skills (including problem solving skills and coping skills, ability to adapt to change)
  • Self-esteem and a sense of purpose or meaning in life
  • Cultural, religious, or personal beliefs that discourage suicide "

Everyone's different but factors like these get the numbers.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance