Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Thr33
New Contributor

Parent Destroying my life and others with their mental health

One parent is going into what seems like a manic episode after being depressed and I and others feel like my parent is no-polar or at the very least needs medical intervention. But this parent refuses to see it and won't get help as what they are saying and doing in their mind is 100% fact and true. It is destroying the other parent and their character is now in question by police due to the other parent stating what they beleive in their mind is the truth when it is not. It is destroying my family and affecting my life personally. The parent with the mental health issue is basically attacking the other parent with the law, with words, is attacking me with accusations and words that are hurtful. The accusations are unfounded and disgusting and cruel that this parent currently experiencing some mental health issues is involving my sibling who is mentally disabled and needs full time care. I feel this parent is now using my sibling and using the law to attack the other parent which is downright disgusting, yet I cannot do anything as the parent will not seek help and I cannot get help for them unless they are causing physical harm to themselves or others. My parent is harming others with the law and accusations and using a defenceless mentally impaired person/child to their own advantage. What do I do? I'm at a loss for what to do I have been told that nothing can be down until this parent wants to seek help or causes harm to themselves or others. I don't want to wait till someone is hurt and at this stage I would not put that past this person.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Parent Destroying my life and others with their mental health

I am so sorry other what you are experiencing. I can relate it because our family has endured similar problems at times. It seems to depend on the willingness of the medical people to include family in the assessment

@Thr33  Hi Thr33  and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately what you say is true there can be no medical intervasion until a person is either a danger to themselves or others..... in the meantime maybe you could get your parent who is being abused to seek advise from a psychologist.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance