Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Drivers licence for son with schizophrenia

I have a separate neurological condition as well as my mental health, and so the neurologist was the appropriate professional to sign me off for both at the same time. I'd seen her before for my mental health investigations, so I felt confident she wouldn't be unfair to me.

My son was not diagnosed with schizophrenia until he was around 24 yrs of age, and we taught him to drive from age 17, he struggled a bit, but he was very determined and he got his license on the third attempt.  Driving gave my son independence and enjoyment, he drove a lot in busy cities, on country roads and on interstate trips. Over the years he became a very experienced and patient driver, and it's something he is proud of. I guess you both won't know if this is an achievable goal unless you try. You could get him to check with his doctor about how his medications may affect his driving, and whether it's possible to plan the best times to take medication in order to decrease their effects on his driving.  Good luck 🙂

Thank you, @Dama1. I will pass this onto my son, as I'm sure it will give him hope.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance