Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Calling all Carers! // Tuesday 28th March 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

Let’s start from the beginning - What was it like taking on the role of a carer out of nowhere? 

@FloatingFeather 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Calling all Carers! // Tuesday 28th March 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

@TideisTurning , @FloatingFeather , @amber22 , @Month04 

I have been caring for my elderly mum for many years before she had to go into aged care at the hospital this year  and really my caring role is still ongoing 

That sounds really hard @Month04. I hope you'll be able to gain something from tonight, but feel free to ask any questions you have as you go and share your own ideas too. I'd love to hear your contributions 😊

Being a young mum at the time with my hands full with two small children it was a lot to be honest.

In the beginning it was my family member’s behaviour that seemed so erratic and out of character. My family were obviously concerned and did what they could do within their own capabilities to help but not knowing what was going on with my family member and to watch them struggle so much emotionally was very confronting. I feel like I was in a hypervigilant state on a regular basis which is challenging enough but when you are also getting up frequently during the night to take care of little kids; upon reflection I’m surprised how resilient I was. I’m not going to lie – it was a lot, and I am so grateful to know there is a lot more awareness around carers needs then there was 20 years ago when it all started.

yes it is a lot @FloatingFeather 

with my husband`s MI and looking after mum more and more until we had to move with mum to look after her more and because of our house fire , it was hard to find that balance at times 

I can see how that would be hard to find that balance, sending you hugs @Shaz51 

@Shaz51 transitions or changes in the caring role can be tricky, but of course there's still that caring role there, though it may look different- good on you for continuing to care for your Mum through that 💛

hello @Snowie2000 

hugs @Month04 

I became a carer overnight in some ways as the person I am caring for now full time became very unwell in the last month, despite going downhill for a while. For every fix/problem we solve something else arises. And some of it is out of our control unfortunately. 

@Month04  letting you know you are not alone my friend 

many carers including myself will say  yes i have had lots of ups and downs over the years 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance