Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

TW - Suicide

Last Friday my sister made an attempt, she was unseccesful and as she puts it she would have been succeded if she didnt need to pee as she passed out on her way back. 

She spent a couple days in hospital and was released.

Today she met with Anglicare suicide people,  she made it clear that she had had enough and that she wanted it over. She had done 40 years and didnt have it in her to do another 40.

She then had an appointment with her GP. I dont go into these sort of appts. I do the initial to help her but let her go on her own from there. Anyhow after an hour (yes and hour) I got a phone call from her GP who asked me to come in. It was about the same. Ended up that the GP placed her on an ITO. After 2 hours with the GP I left with another migrane. The GP was staying with my sister until the ambulance arrived. 

I dont know how this will turn out, they have it in their heads that she has a BPD diagnosis therefore in and out as quick as possible. I really hope they do something this time. I am thinking that I will just refuse to collect her either that or I will demand to speak to a senior psychiatrist. I dont know, I know I need to do something because I know if she comes home, even if every medication in the house was locked up (thats a crap tonne of meds) she will find a way to end it.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: TW - Suicide

My dear @ClockFace , I'm so so sorry this has happened. Unfortunately, it's so true for many with BPD. It's a quick in and a quick out. If anything, it's a 'safety' thing for the night and respite for the family, and then they are out. It's definitely not a long term solution. 

I'm wondering if you have any BPD specific services in your area?

And was your sister attending BPD sessions?

I'm really hearing you @ClockFace . I wish there was more I could do to take her emotional pain away and give you some relief. 

Re: TW - Suicide

@tyme 

I have got her into a DBT program pretty quickly. Tomorrow would have been the third session. 

We have her in a suicide prevention program and OT. There doesnt seem to be any BPD programs around. Tho there is some argument about if she really has BPD. We are trying to get her in to an independant psychiatrist to either confirm or deny the diagnosis. There is a lot more going on Anxiety, Depression and PTSD. 

I dont know if BPD is the right diagnosis, it was pretty slap dash IMHO but I do see traits thats for sure but the contention doesnt help in treating things. DBT will help regardless (though my psych says its the worst thing for Bipolar) and she  should invest in it as it will help with her outbursts and anger issues. But there is certainly an element that she is fighting against anything that relates to her being diagnosed as BPD, and I think the attitude of the medical establishment just reinforces that for her. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance