Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Rockpool1
New Contributor

Keeping the family going with a struggling partner.

Just looking for advice:

My husband has anxiety and is in a 2 week depressive episode. It's tough going because we're on school holidays and I have 3 kids,  2 with anxiety and ADHD (13 & 😎 and 1 with GAD (11) and we've all been walking on egg shells with our breaths held.  Today (he did this yesterday too, but i think I'm getting tired) he got cranky with the youngest with ADHD and then accused the GAD of "allowing her anxiety to effect the family". Do I need to keep settling three children and leaving the house? Do I call him on his own behavior? How do I support him and keep my children entertained through the school holidays?

Thank you,  this rock is crumbling....

1 REPLY 1

Re: Keeping the family going with a struggling partner.

Hey there @Rockpool1 welcome to the forums. Thanks for your post, I am really sorry to hear about what you are up against at home, it is no easy journey. It sounds like it's really hit you that statement he made toward your daughter, and understandably too. I think we forget as Carers, a part of the process is actually setting boundaries with our loved ones who are living with complex mental health. It's okay to have your own boundaries and values within the dynamic, even though he's managing anxiety and depression. Have you got any support of your own? A therapist or peer group? You can always give our help centre a call too (10am-10pm weekdays) on 1800 18 7263. 

I am sure some forum members will jump in soon with their own insights as carers as well Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance