Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

alexbk66
Casual Contributor

Cops removed me from my house after my wife with schizoaffective disorder said that I "threatened to k-i-ll her"

Problem is - we have 5 y.o. daughter and my wife "has a history of becoming aggressive toward her family when unwell", we even have a "safety plan" for our daugter with SOCIT team.  But since I'm not there and not allowed to even contact my daughter - It's kind of scary what can happen.

Just wondering if anybody have any experience and advice, apart from "get yourself a lawyer"?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Cops removed me from my house after my wife with schizoaffective disorder said that I "threatened to k-i-ll her"

Hi @alexbk66, that sounds like a very distressing situation. Other than contacting Child Protective Services in your state, I'm unsure of what might be helpful. If you do think it would help to be able to talk about this with someone, you're welcome to call the SANE Help Centre on 1800 187 263 (or you can use any of the alternative options here). 

I hope your daughter is okay, and please feel free to talk about how this is affecting you - we are listening Heart

Re: Cops removed me from my house after my wife with schizoaffective disorder said that I "threatened to k-i-ll her"

Child protection services don't give a sh##, they said that all they can do - send police for "welfare check", but it doesn't help, because they will spend 10 minutes and leave.

I am sorry to hear about your predicament. @alexbk66 

I cant say more than I hear you.  I have had far too much to do with state services as a child and an adult, and know first hand they are out to look after themselves and their careers.

Both my parents had issues, my father was pushed to an early grave when I was 11.  I wish i had been able to save him.  Keep yourself going in whichever way is best and believe your daughter needs and loves you.  Make it about the long term.

Apple

Wow I am so sorry to hear what you are going through, it seems really messed up to me. I wonder if contacting your wife's mental health team, and having them explain the situation to the authorities, will help Afterall the priority has to be the safety of your daughter. I wish you luck.

@alexbk66 wrote:

Cops removed me from my house after my wife with schizoaffective disorder said that I "threatened to k-i-ll" her.  Problem is - we have 5 y.o. daughter and my wife "has a history of becoming aggressive toward her family when unwell", we even have a "safety plan" for our daugter with SOCIT team.  But since I'm not there and not allowed to even contact my daughter - It's kind of scary what can happen.

Just wondering if anybody have any experience and advice, apart from "get yourself a lawyer"?

Even contacting the treating team is questionable - from legal point of view and also because she's not admitting that she has mental illness and that I'm her carer, and nominated person.

Hi @alexbk66 

This must be awfully concerning for you, I am so sorry. I don't have any advice but I urge you to call SANE. I've called them before for advice around my son's health and they were amazing. The team have a wealth of knowledge around a variety of topics. 

I hope being here helps to remind you you're not alone. 

Take care 🙏

I tried calling Carers Gateway as everybody suggested, all thay can say that they can only help with councelling, or things like gardening, etc.

Huge waste of taxpayers dollars.

Calls to helplines can be hit and miss. I'm sorry that one was a miss. Kudos to you though for reaching out. The reason why I suggested SANE is because they were able to provide knowledge and advice on who I could contact in relation to a complex issue I had. I was at my wit's end and had door after door closed in every attempt to get help as to who to talk to. The phone call to SANE was a game changer. Good luck @alexbk66 I feel for you. 

Are you ok?

Tag me with an @ in front of my name 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance