Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Any ideas on how to get my adult son to go out?

Hi @Jewel I'm sure @Rover will have the best answer on this regarding his own daughter, but in the mean time I thought this might shed a little more light.

What is an ITO?

An ITO is an order made by an authorised doctor for the treatment of a person with a mental illness without that person's consent. An ITO can authorise the involuntary detention of the person receiving treatment at a mental health facility, or community-based treatment.

Who can make an ITO?

An ITO may be made by an authorised doctor.

An authorised doctor is a doctor who has been appointed as such by the administrator of an authorised mental health service: Schedule 2, MHA. A psychiatrist who is an authorised doctor is an authorised psychiatrist.

The person making the ITO cannot be the same person who made the recommendation for assessment (see Involuntary Assessment😞 s 108, MHA.

How is an ITO made?

Following an involuntary assessment, an authorised doctor may make an ITO if they are satisfied that the treatment criteria apply to the patient: s 108, MHA.

The treatment criteria for a person are all of the following:

(a) The person has a mental illness;
(b) The person's illness requires immediate treatment;
(c) The proposed treatment is available at an authorised mental health service;
(d) Because of the person's illness:

(i) There is an imminent risk that the person will harm himself, herself or another person or
(ii) the person is likely to suffer serious mental or physical deterioration;

(e) There is no less restrictive way of treating the person; and
(f) The person lacks the capacity to consent the treatment, or has unreasonably refused treatment: s 14(1), MHA.

http://www.qpilch.org.au/resources/factsheets/Involuntary_Treatment_Order_(ITO).htm

I know, that (i) is a biggie, and the least restrictive setting (e) is also a large consideration.

It must be so hard watching children in this situation,,,I often liken it to watching a train wreck, (in the seconds before it happens), you know it's going to occur, but watch from a distance as it plays outSmiley Sad

Do you have a dog? Dogs are eager to please you can take the dog for a walk and you will meet other dog owners...
You could join a dog club and meet people that way....animals are a great way to draw you out for walks are great loyal friends... You maybe able to share the dog with a relative or friend...;-)

Hi,

Do you have to be on a ITO to have a case worker? My daughter is exactly like your son but is not on medication. She has only been scheduled once but I know she will never live a normal life unless I continue  to seek help for her. Everytime we have felt the need to ring the police and/or ambulance she either runs away or presents as completely "normal" when they arrive. She has guarded delusions, won't go out and won't go to doctor. She is 21 and a gorgeous soul. I miss her.

You must get your daughter to take the medication ...,
It sounds like she may be in denial about condition?
( I was in denial about mine for 3 months)
Without her medication she will not be able to move forward
She needs to get to a point of acceptance of this at some stage...wish you well AleinBP2

You must get your daughter to take the medication ...,
It sounds like she may be in denial about her condition?
( I was in denial about mine for 3 months)
Without her medication she will not be able to move forward
She needs to get to a point of acceptance of this at some stage...wish you well AlienBP2

Get the inital help your loved one needs is definiately the hardest step. Calling the ambulance/police is one way - it is very emotionally draining as your loved one can see it as betrayal - but you are right, they must be presenting as a threat to themselves or others at the time.And they can hide it very well. Initially, I talked my son into going to the GP to claim the disability pension for depression (he thought he could fake depression but he didn't have to because he was depressed but in denial as he always been with his illness - he has schizophrenia) but shortly after, he had a very bad episode and was presenting when the ambulance was called. There is another way which requires a court order and a mental health assessment team come to the home and speak to the loved one at length and hopefully long enough to pick up on clues. I wish you well with this process because it is heartbreaking and very difficult but take it from someone who has been there, done that, having my son cared for and on meds is the best decision for both of you. And please, please, please take care of yourself.

ITO? Soundsgret. Treatment team?I'm envious. 

In any case, interms ofgoing out, my 31 year old stopped going out countless years ago. The only time I managed to get him to goout was in 2009 when he had more hope. He always dremed of making films and I encouraged him to enter some work that he made at home (animation) and try to get accepted into a film cours. He did and went to film school, suffering and missing classess and taking medication.Since then,downhill.I lookfor reasons that I can't get something he wants so that he has to goto a shop.That's the main reason he leaves the house. Getting him to leave his room, well, that's another story.

I came across this forum while trying to find out where to turn, seeking somewhere after 2 years of not sharing it or talking about it to anyone else but my husband

My son has only recently been diagnosed schizophrenic and also has the social anxiety. It has taken a couple of years for this diagnosis!

He is on his third ITO and also does not believe he is ill and hates mental health. I can't help think it is something I have done to cause this illness, somehow,  and I am so afraid he will get to the stage where he won't recover

It breaks my heart to see him so ill and he is so angry I have put him in hospital

I miss my son who I know is within him somewhere, he  just needs to find his way out of his confused thinking and back home, but I don't know how many more times I can go through putting him in hospital

I too would like to know when I have my son back, how I can help him make new friends and enjoy life

Re: Helping a loved one who doesn't want help

Re: Helping a loved one who doesn't want help

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance