Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

Tired

Ive written in here before but for the last 3 months I have been looking after my sister while she hops from one hospital to another and eventually into a mental health facility. She has now been diagnosed with Boarder Line Personality Disorder and they are moving to have her discharged in a couple days. She is still self harming, she has pretty regular outbreaks and just isnt herself, but they want her to go home, which I dont understand. Surely there should be some 'treatment' give her some tools etc. but no its out the door. 

Not to make it about myself, Ive taken time off work to look after my sister and would like to go back as soon as I can. I am also having to deal with my own medical issues, I have mental health issues, Im hallucinating, visual, auditory and tactile. I am dealing with bladder cancer, I had a scan last Friday, it came back good, but the local wasnt given time to work so it was incredibly painful and I am having to follow up with that. I have SI Joint disfunction (among other spinal issues) for some reason that has been really painful, I have maxed out on pain meds I can have as Im normally on pretty strong stuff (patch etc). I have been having tests which came back favourably and I am schedualled for bilateral RF ablasion on the 9th of March. Added to all this, it has been a exceptionally long 3 months and I am tired, exhusted. A day or so ago I crashed out. I had a rough night sleep but got up to get into the day and kept falling asleep at the table. Eventually I got up and went to bed and slept most the day, got up had my meds and went back to sleep for the night and slept into the day. I then had an early night and slept late the next day (today) its 4 in the afternoon and I am working to do my chores and go to bed early.

I have been the person that has dealt with doctors and the like. I generally visit daily, though I have been having more breaks recently as I dont have the energy. Even if I dont go see her, we talk via txt or phone through out the day. Generally I get a phone call or 2 with my sister going off about something, a day off only means I didnt drive the care remains. 

My Dad visits occasionally, generally on weekends and now that she is on his way home sometimes he stops in. In the 3 months my sister has been in one hospital or another my Mum hasnt visited her once. She has made many excuses and my Dad has done all he can to make it easy for her to visit but no. Not even at Christmas. My Mum does decided to poke her head in when Kristal is being discharged as she doesnt want her to be. She decided to tell me the other day that I need to talk to a Doc and find out whats going on. I was not very polite in my responce. Ive been doing everything for my sister and her welfare for months, I didnt need her input at this stage. I have made sure that my parents were aware whats going on. I should mention that we all live together, though my Mum basically doesnt leave her room anymore.

My Dad doesnt get mental health, he never will. I got my diagnosis over 10 years ago and if you asked him what it meant he wouldnt be able to tell you. So, I have no expectation of help from him or from my Mum when my sister comes home. It will be left up to me to deal with her outbursts, crying, yelling etc. and I dont know that I have the strength in me to guide her through her illness and dealing with the mental health people she will be dealing with

4 REPLIES 4
TuxedoCat
Senior Contributor

Re: Tired

hey @ClockFace, I'm so sorry to hear the last 3 months have been so hard. I can see why you're tired, it sounds like you've got a lot going on around you. 

First up, I'm so sorry to hear about all of you physical health matters. I imagine thats pretty scary. And I'm wondering what support you have around you for your own mental health? Hallucinations of any kind can be really scary ❤️ 

And secondly, I wanted to check on if you wanted a few resources for your sister on her self-harm or for you on BPD? I post some here if it's helpful ❤️ 

take care

I have my GP and Psychologist though both are pretty new. Neither my Mum and Dad are any support. My Dad tries but mental health is not a strong suit. I obviously have sane and I am trying to get a Psychiatrist. 

Some info on selfharm etc would be great. Ive had my own experience with it but never had to help/support someone 

@ClockFace, I'm really glad you've got some supports around you too. 

Here are a few resources. Let me know if they're useful to you

❤️ 

Hearing you about the problem of premature discharge into the community @ClockFace 

Your sister is very lucky to have your support.  She must know you love her.

I am wondering if you can reduce your commitment to your sister to alternative days or even extend to weekly, as you build your own health self care back up. You can still express your love to her at that level of visiting. Guessing she is younger but might be wrong, maybe she can gain self regulation skills through online DBT if they do not refer to fuller therapy. 

Take Care Apple

Professionals may be able to establish some support workers for after home care etc without you have to take it all on. 

I have been a victim of the callousness of the 'let the community carry the load' policy.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance