Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Icare20
Contributor

Not sure how to deal with a friend reaching out again.

Hi,

I have a friend, who has been struggling for a very long time 4 years +.....I thought I was being supportive, Hind sight think I was enabling..... 😕 Xmas day she had a break down at a mutual friends, saying she couldn't stay for lunch she ranted, cried, screamed, then, relaxed.... all in the matter of 10 mins then left drove off  and went home. Fast forward 4 days, we go visit Ill friend, to see how she was, we took her to chemist to get meds, offered to buy her lunch, she said no, went cranky and said we had hijacked her and she wanted to go home. She got aggressive in the car at me turning the wrong way.... and jumped out the car at the lights, a car hike from her house. Friend and I were shocked and upset.... we let her walk home. And went home ourselves. I sent a message saying, how you going? Are you still angry?.... now she's answer Hi, I'm ok now, I'm not angry anymore. Well, now I don't no how to reply to that. She didn't apologise. No how are you? My delima..... how do I reply and what /how do I set boundaries with a friend. 

Granted on the grand scheme of things this isn't a crisis, but I would like to hear your input. 
thanks for reading 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Not sure how to deal with a friend reaching out again.

hello @Icare20 

and welcome to the forum

My delima..... how do I reply and what /how do I set boundaries with a friend.-- it is tricky but just being a friend and being there for her to text or chat or just talk

but we also need to self care for ourselves too

can I ask " how is she when alone "

my husband has MI and he hates lots of people arounds and socializing , he wants to go home

sometimes when we have a family dinner he will take extra meds to help him

@Former-Member, @Determined , @Smc ,

Hi @Shaz51

When alone she sleeps a lot, plays on her phone. She doesn’t have routines. Is up late and sleeps half of the day. Doesn’t shower and doesn’t clean up after her self or her dogs. 
Today she has apologised to another friend. Not to me. 

Hi @Icare20 

It's been a little while - just wanted to check in and see how you are going with this? 

Hi @Lauz 

My friend had not contacted me again since she yelled at me and jumped out of my car. 
Until this week she's messaged me but has not mentioned the incident. Do I just pretend it never happened......or 2 be polite and limit contact..... I do have my Mother to look after. And its that weekend when we go to bingo... wooo hooo 😝🤨😝

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance