Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Hi I am new to this forum,my husband has Bipolar and I have no one to talk too about it.

Hi, I too am new to this forum. My husband also has Bipolar disorder as well as a history of psycosis, trauma and abuse. I have 3 children and am really concerned about how this is affecting them. After 9 years of ups and downs I have sought help for myself and suffer from anxiety .I have struggled to find support groups for people who have a spouse with a mental health illness and I struggle alot as I feel very isolated alot of the time. I have wonderdul friends that listen and family that I can talk to but I sometimes feel they get sick of hearing the same thing....up and down...and to  be honest I dont blame  them, I guess I just feel like I am at a cross road and dont know where to  from here. Im optimistic. most of the time and guess I just need a place to  vent where people understand and hope I can help others on their journey along  the way.  

Re: Hi I am new to this forum,my husband has Bipolar and I have no one to talk too about it.

@Allie-May I can't share anything about the traumas my BP partner puts me through because I know my friends and family would want us to break up. His diagnosis was over a decade ago, we've been together 2 years and just a few weeks after I met him he had a severe break-down. I spoke to my own friends and family then to get support, but they just encouraged me to cut and run. I didn't and now they don't want to know me.

For the most part things are ok. I keep mood-charts and began to be able to predict when things were going to get rough. The really bad times only last a week or two as a rule, but we have been rapid cycling for almost 3 months now. His highs are irritable  highs and his lows are aggressive depression. I am so exhausted that I can barely go to work. 

If he wasn't ill, I would put my hand up as an abused partner and walk out the door. It isn't an excuse to manipulate and humiliate me though, as he does it with everyone. I can't talk to him about his agressive outbursts in any realistic manner because then he is so down on himself he becomes suicidal. 

I am exhausted.

Hi, I am new today, my x husband has bipolar we were married 19 years. Now my 28 yo daughter also has it. I wish I knew back then what I know now about bp. I am grateful I had experience with his bp as it helped me to recognise my daughters first episode, we got her help very fast & so far she’s medication compliant & has been well for some time & accepts she is bp, something her Dad has never done, he also drank a lot been in AA & sober for many years. They shouldn’t drink! My daughter drinks tells me she knows her limits !! Find that hard to believe. If I could take it from her I would. I feel for you, because you can really feel alone. Happy to talk here whenever. It’s the unpredictability of bp not knowing when a manic episode may happen, my daughter was also psychotic, it was a horrible time, but I consider us lucky as she’s taking meds etc
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance