Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

hurricane
Casual Contributor

Frustrated

I feel so frustrated because I don’t know quite what to do anymore.

My brother has recently been discharged from the hospital.

I planned an overseas trip for him (everything booked)

all medicines are prepared beforehand

the medical staff said patients should not travel 6 months after being discharged. Their main concern is because a change in the environment (aircraft) may cause the patient to be distressed.

Our family believes he could benefit from a trip away from the stressful environment.

(which is causing depression and uncontrolledeating)

does anyone have experience in this?

can one use sleeping pills for the flight to avoid this?

I also want to join a meet up group for carers.

I called the numbers on the one door group page... maybe it is still the holidays... no one has responded yet.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Frustrated

Hey @hurricane ,

Sounds stressful at the moment. 

When doctors said patients shouldn't travel 6 months after hospital discharge, is that a blanket comment or was it specifically for your brother?

For me, I travelled asap. There was certainly no 'rule' about not travelling. If anything, I needed the change. However, that was for my circumstance.

Does your brother want to go? If so, it is probably a good 'out' for him.

Follow you heart. I look forward to further connecting with you to see how things go.

Kindest, tyme

How are you today @hurricane ?

Hi Tyme

I think the medical advice was ...

being in an airplane for hours could cause him to be triggered. (Plane sounds, lights from the window, etc)

He had some hallucinations and paranoia a few months ago.

He is also not dependent (doesn’t do chores), eats a lot, unable to find a job that he likes, doesn’t know what he wants...)

I agree with you too...a change of environment would be good for him...

How does he feel about  the trip? @hurricane 

He likes the idea of the trip.

he feels that since he is not doing anything constructive/ being aimless... might as well go somewhere...

Currently...

being at home... everything is a routine, there is not input to his system...keeps on either being aimless or being obsessive about being productive

the concerns...

if he is triggered, then it is difficult to take care of

If currently conditions continue.... it will be a painful 6 months for everyone...

as people need to walk on egg shells

doing his chores and picking up after him

amber22
Peer Support Worker

Hey there @hurricane 

Hmm, often I take the doctors advice with things like this because I always think that they have a lot more knowledge about the medical side of things than I do, but I also want to reiterate how doctors and medical staff often have to tell you the most precautionary things or the worst case scenarios so that if something does go wrong (even if this is only a very small percentage) they can save their backs by saying that they informed you of the risks. 

I think that I would give the doctors a call and explain your specific situation and how you think this would benefit your brother emotionally, and whether it might be possible that they were just saying this in the worst case scenario frame? Best to go with advice on this one but to also go with your gut, you know your brother! 

All the best,

Amber22

Thank you for input.

I will give that a try. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance