Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Krishna
Senior Contributor

Daughter catatonic

Well after 20 ECT treatments and new meds, my girl is finally eating, drinking, showering, interacting with staff to have her needs met and communicating verbally with people except me, her mum. I've seen her twice in a year and both times were visits I made to the hospital whilst she was catatonic. I haven't heard her voice for months and has refused phone calls or further visits from me without explanation. Her social worker finally convinced her that communications and support from family was so very important and so she finally agreed to ring me yesterday. I waited waited waited and no call came. My heart is breaking. After all she has been through since her hospitalisation in August, being unable to be there for her as she woke from each general anaesthetic, as she finally opened her eyes, as she finally had tube feeding removed, the list goes on. She is now well enough to attend an intensive rehab hospital but could be months due to the waiting list. Meanwhile she no longer requires the acute care the hospital provides and they don't want to keep her there any longer than necessary. I pray she can make it on her own back in society as she's not very keen about community teams keeping an eye on her. In the past she has skipped town and moved to another state. All I can do is live in hope, from a distance. A constant source of frustration and sadness. Oh the pain of having a child with mental health issues. Although she is now 26, perhaps it's time for me to just let it be. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Daughter catatonic

@Krishna  Krishna I am so sorry that you are going through so much pain. At the end of the day you must look after yourself. You are in an unenviable position. It is hard but you are not alone in your grief. Take good care of yourself. peaxx

@greenpea @Thank you xx I love to sing and play guitar but haven't done so for years. It's amazing how this situation seems to have robbed me of all joy but I have a dear friend who has been encouraging me to pick up my guitar again, which I have done. Tired of meds to numb the pain, which is all they do and tired of being tired all the time. So slowly finding myself again and learning to accept the fact that my daughter as I knew her is now a different person, void of emotion, whom I love endlessly and hope one day I get to meet. Wishing you a lovely Christmas and may we all find peace in every step. 

@Krishna  Krishna you have brought tears to my eye. If it helps I was in a similar position with my parents for a variety of reasons. I am sure your daughter will come back to you once she finds herself. In the meantime now is the time for you to look after yourself which you have started to do with playing your guitar this is wonderful news.Take good care of yourself. Love peaxxx

Hello @Krishna 

It's been a long time, I've been wondering how you and your gorgeous girl are.

I am so sorry to hear she she won't make contact. I agree with @greenpea about your guitar. Take care sweetheart.

Sending you lots of hugs from one Mumma to another 🙏🤗❣️🌺

And some for you too pea 💞💐💝❣️

@Anastasia😄 you always make me smile with your kind and caring posts. Hope you are doing well my friend xxx

I'm glad I made you smile beautiful girl. Squeezy hugs always x

@greenpea 

@Anastasia @Thank you. So lovely to hear from you again. Hope all is as well as can be expected and best wishes for a peace filled Christmas xx

You too lovely x

@Krishna 🙏💞

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance