Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Stressed about meal times

Thank you @Faith-and-Hope i just hoped i wasnt upsetting anyone.
I hope that this thread might help other too are in or become in the same boat too.
Ive been trying to get my aged care support but pop doesnt want it so im a little stuck on what to do on that front but i can still contact carers australia and see if theres something they could help with even as a temporary thing

Gosh it's a difficult situation you're in lil Sis @outlander. But I think the suggestion to ring carers Australia sounds reasonable. And perhaps you could explain it to your pop that right now it's a bit like war tines, and there's limits of certain foods. So he sometimes has to have whatever there is. Make it into a conversation though. Ask him about his experiences with rationing and how he managed. It just might be an explanation he can get his head around. And most people with dementia are able and happy to talk about the past.

Thanks @Sans911 i will try that 💌

Hey @outlander   I really felt your anguish and concern about your Pop last night.  Hoping that you find some helpful things as soon as possible.  Carers Aus. is a great place to start.

Thank you @eth 💌

Hey @outlander  I'm just catching up

Gosh that is a really tough situation

You might have had enough of suggestions for now, The only thing that sprung to mind is offering iced coffee a bit more. Quite a bit of nutrition in that,

Main thing I wanted to say is that you are a gem. He is so lucky to have you. You are such a selfless soul.

I hope you can find ways to look after you too.

Am thinking @outlander that your Pop was probably a child during WW2? My parents are in their '80s, which means they were born just before the war, so rationing was more what their parents were having to deal with. And sometimes the limited diet of their childhood is why some older people are fussy about food.

Another one that just occured to me is French Toast. Easy to make, reasonably nutritious... or at least filling. You can still tell the difference between white bread and wholemeal, but because it's so soft it might make wholemeal more palatable for your Pop.

sorry i am a bit late my sister @outlander Heart

sending you hugs 

needing a lot of patience at this time my friend 

Dementia Australia have some great tips about eating , daily life and they have a helpline too soo they may be able to help you with a fact sheet and some tips 

@outlander, thinking my mum is starting to have dementia as she is liking certain things done her way 

even her med box was different so she wanted me to take it back to the chemist 

thank you @frog
he chose a juice today so hopefully that decision will last ..
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance