Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

The aim is to grow a limited number of fruit that are not readily available or are expensive to buy @Smc .

Popped into the garden centre today and placed an order for the fruit trees we are hoping to plant. Some roses 🌹 Me Darcy fancied are on sale so we were able to get them.

Greenhouse partly in use = yay.

@Former-Member, my sister is paying for some extra fruit trees for me as my late Christmas pressie. And Im ordering a few others at the same time. I'll be shortly receiving hazelnuts, plums, a Corella pear, and a cumquat. So I've got a few planting holes I need to prepare. 🙂

I think any fruit tastes better homegrown, but yup, mulberries are almost impossible to buy.

Roses planted, staked and mulched today 🌹🌹🌹.

Floribunda Rosa 'Lili Marlene'Floribunda Rosa 'Lili Marlene'

Nice @Former-Member. 🙂
I've put a few bulbs in recently. The tulips I bought ages ago, plus some yellow Dutch Irises. Still one pack of tulips to go.
And the garlic I didn't get to digging up last year has re-sprouted, so I'm leaving some of it as is, and transplanting other clumps so that they've got room to grow properly. I moved one clump (eight cloves) to a small bed behind the greenhouse this afternoon.

I have lost all interest in my garden lately now that the perosn that I recently started to care for helps herself to every flower that blossoms and every pea that pods as soon as she awakens in the morning. Ive asked her to leave my garden alone but the more I insist, the more she rades it. Ive given her ground to grow her own but she states that dosen't work, she is the Queen! What can I do to get some space to myself? Maybe my mistake was talking to her about my passion? I dont know?

Yikes @jaddee having an in situ scrumper raid your garden = 😵😵😵

My brother & SIL are visiting and he has been helping Mr Darcy do some work  on our raised garden beds which are still a work in progress. 

As we we had some offers of help (and at great expense) we decided to make our raised garden beds into wicking beds. 

Am so grateful, between my brother, Mr Darcy & a little bit of help from myself we have got the beds done to a level where Mr Darcy & I can finish them off without assistance. 

@Sheila  one of the beds is earmarked for asparagus underplanted with strawberries. Have grown the asparagus from seed so it will be a couple of years before we are fully rewarded.

Hi @Former-Member, Im ok thanks. I bought my asparagus as seedlings several years ago from diggers online. It dies take a good year to get edible produce. But well worth it

Today we made some more progress on our wicking beds and one is finished and ready for planting ... yay.

Mr Darcy has been going hammer and tongs and has finished all our wicking beds. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance