Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

A friend gave me a bag of lilium bulbs today so spent a bit of time weeding to clear enough space to plant them.  Feeling a bit stiff this evening.  

Bought a bunch of plants yesterday, have planted some today. A pink delphinium, I've got the rest of my bulbs in (Lycoris, Hyacinth and Ranunculus), a few more flower seedlings and some perennials. And in the process I've topped up the beds with some more good composty chook litter. 🙂 Looking forward to spring. But right now it's raining.

Nice selection there @Smc 

Rain = 😀

Former-Member
Not applicable

images - 2019-05-15T185509.774.jpeg

garfiled flower shop.gif

Former-Member
Not applicable

Was really pleased that we got a few plants moved today. A couple of orange tropicanna canna plants that were an odd colour in a block of pinks were moved. I divided up a couple of Kerria Japonica plants into perhaps 15 divisions. The original  plant was hidden behind another shrub and could not be seen.  If the latter plants transplant ok, they will form a backdrop to a garden seating area.  The plants have all been mulched.

Orange tropicanna cannaOrange tropicanna canna

Kerria JaponicaKerria Japonica

I know I will miss our garden,  am secretly hoping the  next owner will be a gardener.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Got a bit of weeding done today and Mr Darcy mowed. 

Today was out and about. The past few days though a fair bit has gone into the garden. I was gifted some white tulip bulbs while shopping at one of my regular favourite nurseries, so they've gone in. White primulas as a "childhood memories" flower. More garlic and perennial onions. A few more assorted annual flowers and vegs, and some nice perennials that really needed some dirt to spread into. Black hollyhock, white perennial prostrate snapdragon, and a dianthus.

Taking heaps of cuttings as I go around pruning the garden. There's lots of tough drought and frost tolerant "background" plants that I could really do with more of. Lavender, rosemary, santolinas. And also I've been pinching out the top few nodes of the snapdragons as I plant them, because I've successfully grown them from cuttings before now. If I can potentially double the number of plants I get from a punnet, then why not?

This is my birthday and Christmas present money being put to work. I think a colourful springtime sounds like a pretty good pressie. 😄

Antirrhinum hispanicum- perennial snapdragon.Antirrhinum hispanicum- perennial snapdragon.

Nice work @Smc , a spring display = 😀😀😀

Do you reckon it is not too late for wormwood cuttings @Smc 

Wormwood cuttings would probably sit quietly over winter, then put out roots in springtime. I'm expecting that's exactly what a lot of my current lot of cuttings will do too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance