Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Rose7631
New Contributor

PTSD

Hi, my husband attempted to end his life in November after a 2-3 week period of severe depression. In the 19 years that we have been together he has never displayed any signs of depression. He was most likely walking around with undiagnosed PTSD for at least 12 months prior to him hurting himself. 
The PTSD was caused by a series of incidents in his work place. He was very clearly displaying clear signs of distress but nothing was done about it. He works in an industry where this is a common occurrence and was a first responder in one of these incidents. 

He was in hospital recovering from his injuries for 3 weeks and then along with medication he was slightly improving. At the four month mark he stopped taking his medication which I was unaware of. He then had a full relapse and has since been in a mental health ward for the past two weeks.

He has the added complication of extreme worrying about things or situations that simply will not happen. I have been told that OCD intrusive thoughts can happen when diagnosed with PTSD. 

Since he has been in hospital he has hardly been eating which again is another worry.

We have children and have also had to relocate to the city as we live remotely and due to flooding in our town we still have not been able to bring our car down. 
Our children have had to all change schools and we are staying with family.

I was given phone appointments with Fresh Start so that I could speak with a psychologist but twice now appointments have been changed with three week gaps between them. 

I feel like I am drowning and that it is highly possible that my caring, loving strong husband will not get better.  He just stares into space all day.  I guess I am looking for support services. He has a psychologist, rehab provider, GP, lawyer and we are in the process of finding him a psychiatrist but he is currently under the care of one while he is in hospital. 
I am in Perth and I’m aware that I can go to the doctors and ask for a mental health plan. All our friends are around the state so No immediate help is available for me. 

Thanks for reading 

4 REPLIES 4
tyme
Community Lead

Re: PTSD

Hi @Rose7631 ,

We read it has been a very difficult time for you all recently. We are listening and thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry that things are so tough for you right now as you are torn between various family members as well as trying to help yourself.

Have you heard of your Guided Service? You may be interested in that one-on-one support it can provide you https://www.sane.org/referral#registering-myself

Also, while you wait for supports, please feel free to contact our drop-in line on 1800 187 263 (M-F 10am-10pm AEDT) https://www.sane.org/get-support/drop-in-service

Do you deserve to be supported. We do care about you and please know you are not alone.

Hi, 

That sounds awful. I am so sorry you are going through this. I am writing because I too am going through the same thing with my husband. Undiagnosed PTSD as a first responder for years and didnt know it. 

He has been diagnosed with PTSD, diassociation and depression.. on a whole bunch of meds. Like your husband, he has never experienced depression or even had any type of suicide thoughts. 

I understand the strain you are going through at the moment, raising the kids and taking the mental load as well as everything that is going on. I really hope someone gets in touch with you to provide you with extra support. I am looking for some sort of support group and a google led me here. 

It’s been the hardest and most shocking experience ever, it happened very quickly and although the initial incident happened in November last year he did not receive the best treatment and care and recently relapsed and has been in hospital for the past 6 weeks. 
It has been absolutely awful and I have only just been able to sort out support for myself as the support offered by his workplace was really pretty poor. 
I have found a support group and the first meeting is next week. 
It is extremely difficult because he had no prior history of depression and there were very clear signs that he needed help and yet nothing was done. His line of work are known for letting down their employees and I am now reaching the angry stage. 
Even though my husband is now showing the signs of recovering I am so scared of out future and was basically planning a life without him because I really was so frightened that he might not make it. 
We have a long road ahead of us, I hope you get the support and help that you need. 

Thank you for sharing @Rose7631 . I read of your strength, bravery and resilience. It is so true that the road ahead may be long and hard, but perhaps that which is not worth fighting for is not worth it?

Your husband must mean to much to you.

Do you have any supports for yourself at this time?

Also, I little hint. You can type "@" in front of a member's name so that they receive a notification of your post e.g. @tyme 

I look forward to seeing you around.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance