Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Toki
Contributor

How much is too much?

https://saneforums.org/t5/Something-s-not-right/How-much-is-too-much/m-p/309509#M51917

I posted it on Lived Experience forum link above

So to recap.: i do lots of respite care, but am finding it difficult to find my own time inbetween those times, much less how to take care of another person(even though he is high-finctioning). Any sort of advice, suggestions, comments about respite care, and how to recharge oneself as well?

3 REPLIES 3
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: How much is too much?

@Toki
I have tagged you in another thread that gives tips for carers

Hi @Toki

I have just read through your post on the Lived Experience forum. It sounds like caring for your family member has really started to take a toll on you. It is great that you have reached out on our forum and that you are making sure to take steps in order to look after yourself. Sometimes when we are caring for somebody else, we can forget about ourselves. It is common for carers to feel burnt out and really run down. In terms of determing when is too much, it really depends on the carer and what they are willing and able to tolerate. Maybe it might be an idea to reflect on what your own thoughts and limits are around this?

There's a good thread that @CherryBomb started that you might want to have a look at which gives some helpful tips around self care. There might be some ideas here that you could try if you haven't already thought of or tried doing. The thread is called 'No time for self care? Here's a 5-step guide for busy people.'

@Kiera80, also shared some of their strategies on that thread. It may be from 2015 but the tips continue to be relevant!

You've come to a really supportive place here on the forums, so I hope you are able to find the help that you are looking for.

Wishing you all the best.

Take care of yourself 🙂

Hi @Former-Member@Toki@River9

How are things going with your self care @Toki? Did you find any of the links helpful?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance