Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

@Determined 

In agreement = 👍

When it came to the kitchen I found it much easier to deal with a drawer or shelf at a time rather than a large scale effort. 

Are you thinking the stuff could go to an op shop? Other?

@Adge 

Overdoing things = 😵

Sticking to the one in one out rule = 'onya Mr Finch, 😀 not adding to our clutter takes discipline.  When I first started dealing with one item a day, I found on occasion I was able to extend to two items or upgrade to "one in two out" without it being a burden. I did not have the physical or emotional energy to deal with too much in the one sitting. 

@Former-Member 

The plan is to start with the dinner set and glass drawer. We are going to shop for suitable replacements and re home the rest. 

Then the cutlery and cooking implements. 

I was amazed at how cheap crockery and glasses were at places like Kmart, Target, Big W etc @Determined . I tend to stick to plain white and have been able to use different brands of things like noodle & pasta bowls and they all match. At a max of $3, sometimes as low as $1,  replacing 6 plates was under $20 or less and could be done in stages and was not a burden. 

We started with a Maxwell & Willians basic white dinner set that was given to us and I have added to it with non M&W items but I do like that replacements are readily available and if I want them, entree plates (the size between dinner & side plates) are available. We don't use the original dessert bowls preferring the shape of some others we got from the reject shop. (Do I detect an opportunity for me to cleat a bit of space in the cupboard myself 😀). 

Most of what we have @Former-Member  I recieved as gifts for my 18th birthday or got at op shops when I first set up a place of my own. 

I am thinkimg smaller plates may also help with new eating habits that we are workimg on.   Target has some cheap plates that we both like. Off white in colour.  

Hope you do manage to get the new set purchased soon, I am sure you and your Darling will enjoy it @Determined.  

We actually got given 2x sets of M&W and it has been nice to have the extra place settings as we do entertain a fair bit and there have been breakages over time. I really should look at getting the entree size plates though, they are a really good size for lunches when I often serve a small portion of protein along with a salad.  I know families often find having these lunch size plates in melamine or similar for their kids to be practical in addition to their regular crockery.

Back on the home front I donated a top that no longer fits me. 

@octavia  have you been able to attend to something that has been bothering you?

@Former-Member yes I have! yesterday I did a full clean of my bedroom and bathroom. today I cleaned the spa, its ready for use, we need it, going through a heatwave here. also did the floors, still got dishes and to at least start cleaning my car before I head back to work. took me a bit to get motivated as it's so hot here! but I'm on a roll

@octavia 

Sounds like you were on a rock and roll. 

I was determined not to do anything else today until I had replaced  the knobs on a 2nd hand chest of drawers we had bought that was missing a few of its handles.  We have had the replacement units for a few weeks so am pleased to report the job has been done.  

One more item ticked off the to do list = hooray.

way to go @Former-Member Smiley Very Happy

Doing a long overdue freezer defrost- yay!
It's only a small one, about 70-80l, but I really wanted to get it cleaned out before buying meat for Christmas. 🙂 Now not only will it be clean, but there will be lots of space available because I used up as much as I could in preparation for the defrost.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance