Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Coping Toolbox ( what is in yours to help you cope )

Dear @Flying_Hams, I have days that are beyond awful myself. For me, calling Lifeline is part of my self help ritual for when things are beyond the pale. When days are really bad I have a shower by moonlight, watching the moon, stars and flying foxes overhead. In summer, the flying foxes fly over my bathroom window at dusk. Awesome. Once, when I was in the shower I saw a real shooting star flash from south to north, exploding over the bush near my house. A long shower, a hot chocolate and medicines to help me sleep are my common routine. I also find that eating meals comprised of fresh ingredients are a great way to feel nourished. Next week, when I have more money, I am going to my local Woolworths and I am going to spoil myself with a cheap seafood platter from lobster tails, king aussie prawns, fresh scallops and salmon or tuna fillets. I really love butterflies prawns marinated in garlic, chilli and olive oil cooked on the grill. I have learned that you have to do nice things for yourself sometimes... or maybe lots.

I hope you feel good soon.

@outlander @Flying_Hams 

Hang in there! Yes it is hard and some moments more than others but this too will pass. That is what i remind myself when I have had "enough".

I also use the trick to count my blessings, 3 at a time and try to find 3 new ones when I feel down.

I also remind myself of the things I can still do while at home (loads of that) and I discover the close neighbourhood in random walks. Things i notice that I never saw before when I have nowhere to go!

Outlander, any chance you can ask for help and some respite. It sounds like a valid reason and DHS may have some options. Enquiring is also a way to reach out I guess.

And yes I am better at this lockdown than last year's big long winter one in Melbourne. I feel for you Sydney and NSW and sure hope it soon improves, however lengthy it feels, the alternative is too dreadful.

Let me offer you a gift from the internet. We can't enter utube link but may I suggest to enter "blooming flower timelapse" in utube and see where that will get you. Some have great music arrangements too.

Outlander, your person with dementia may like it too, it is said to be very therapeutic and could be a quiet thing to both enjoy.

I would love to know how that go. Some of my favourite videos show Dahlias and spring fruit tree blooms.  Happy bursts of pure joy.

Take care

@outlander @Flying_Hams 

Actually https://youtu.be/pZVdQLn_E5w

Let see if it works

Enjoy

I'm sorry. I didn't realise this was the carees forum and now I feel bad for treating it like is.

Thanks for your help though @Elac @Ripple

@Ripples sorry tagged the wrong forumite above

Yes I agree. Small things count. I think I actually saw a shooting star once. Only very brief but I am claiming it as a shooting star.

Thanks @Elac

Yeah links work @Elac
Its all good 🙂

Hope you enjoyed it
Good night

hi @Elac and also nice to meet you

Respite for me isnt an option atm esp with lockdown so im just trying my best to cope as much as i can. thanks for the link ill have a look

Dear @Flying_Hams , I am in the fight of my life against the NDIS so my life is pretty terrifying and sad. You know things are bad when you have to write a confronting letter to each of the Prime Minister and the State Premier.

I have discovered a scary thing. State Police won't investigate NDIS crimes committed in your home when you are there. To make matters worse, the Federal Minister for the NDIS won't investigate crimes committed against participants. When the NDIS and Aged Care systems were introduced, they failed to write laws to protect participants against rogue providers and criminal in-home workers. No one in either can currently sue these criminals because there are no laws in place upon which a lawyer can base a legal case. That means that participants are totally at the mercy of the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission. God help anyone who has to ask for justice from them.

This total infringement of human rights has been reported to the United Nations. Next port of call for me is the United Nations. I intend to make my small voice heard, even if that is on the other side of the world from people who can name and shame our politicians.

As far as I know, I am the only NDIS participant in Australia fighting for these laws to protect me. I have had to look evil in the eye and stare it down. It has zapped all my energy, just like the dementors in Harry Potter. The staff throughout the NDIS are dementors. They suck all the hope out and leave me feeling like I will never be happy again.

I don't give up because no one has the right to make me sad, especially not government morons.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance