Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

ssc
Contributor

Private Health Insurance

My sister and I are looking to take out private health insurance for our dad with the sole purpose being for in-patient psychiatric admission. We know there is a 2-month waiting period on psychiatric hospital claims admissions - other than this can anyone recommend companies? Policies? Insider advice or tips; what worked for you, or didn't work with your policy? What other services you can or can't claim while admitted on your policy?
And does anyone know of a policy that covers ECT?
We are very new at this, but this is the way his treatment is headed.

Thank you
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Private Health Insurance

Hi I went with HIF when my husband needed admitting though I'm sure any would be fine as you have to take out the high level cover so it covers a lot.  It's worth calling the company you choose and talking it through with them about the situation. Ours covered everything for the 5 weeks stay but he didn't have ETC so not sure about that. Also call up admission of the hospital you want him to go to they are very helpful with telling you what you need to make things happen. 

Hope that helped 😄

Re: Private Health Insurance

taking out private cover was the best decision we made for our daughter who suffers BLPD . The private system is by far the way to go for the best in mental health care. We were with HBF who had a 12 month waiting period on pre existing. I made some inquiries and went with MEDIBANK who have been fantastic and only had a two month wait for pre existing.  However I believe many health providers have dropped or lessened the wait times , for example HBF have completely dropped theirs.  Just as a matter of interest my daughter had ECT while an inpatient at no extra cost than the yearly $500 excess. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance